Friday, September 23, 2011

How or where do I start to pick up golf?

I've been meaning to pick up on golf. What's the best and economical way to start? Is there some sort of a group for new adult learners? I live in the Manhattan, so recommendations within that viccinity would be great. I also heard that Long Island has some golfing facilities for amateurs. Is that true?|||Many people practice by themselves at the range, but in the long run it won't be too beneficial and will become very costly. The reason is because you develop bad habits that are very hard to adjust in the future. You want to get started the right way, which is by taking lessons. There are definitely group lessons that are just as effective as one-on-one lessons, and a lot cheaper. You need to make sure that the golf coach is a certified professional because you want someone that knows what they're doing to teach you. Practice at the range in between lessons to allow your muscles to remember what you've learned. As for equipment, I suggest looking for a decent used golf set or a good starter set because you don't want to hit something that is bad or hard to use. I bought a lot of cheaper decent used clubs on Kijiji or Craigslist. If not, any golf retailer store will sell pretty good starter sets. I don't live in Manhattan so I can't recommend anything. But I know that most Golf and Country Clubs will give you lessons. When I started I just went to a nearby Golf and Country Club. A lesson was about $70/hr. But I had my lesson with one other person so it was more like $35/hr. This was just from my experience. Hope this helped. Best of luck to you!|||Take a few lessons at a driving range, course or even at the Y or someplace. This will greatly reduce early frustrations, and get you started doing the right things rather than trying to correct bad issues in your swing later. I took some lessons at the Y a long time back and they were a great help and cheap.|||Absolutely get a lesson or six. It is so much easier to adjust a small golf swing problem then to fix a radical problem you developed on your own.





Get a lesson from a pro. Your buddy may have a lot to say, but I wouldn't listen to him unless his handicap was 5 or better and he had teaching experience.





Then I would get an inexpensive set of clubs designed for beginners. You can spend a lot of money later. Try TGW and Amazon for good prices on clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment